Many of you know that Allie is allergic to both peanuts and eggs. We found out right before her 1st birthday that she had a mild allergy to both. We were then told to exclude anything that could contain either one from her diet hoping that one day she would out grow her allergy. After we found out, Jarod and I both made sure that she never had anything even manufactured in a facility that processed foods with eggs or peanuts. It was a hard adjustment at first, but we learned to go on with life. Luckily her allergy was not severe enough to need an epipen and we just carried Benadryl with us.
We were told that when she turned 3, we could retest her. With her birthday being a month away (crazy that she is almost 3; I'm in such denial) I decided to go ahead and have her tested. I was just hoping that she wasn't allergic to eggs (eggs are in so many things). When we got to the doctor, they decided to test her for other things too. I thought we were just doing eggs and peanuts. Allie did so well and we were so proud of her. After 15 min. of waiting, we found out that all tests were NEGATIVE!!! Praise God! Jarod and I were so thrilled. I don't think she quiet grasps the importance of this but we sure do. Now, we don't have to worry about food at b-day parties, restaurants, or a kid sharing a snack with her. We did go ahead and give her a little peanut butter to see if she had a reaction. She did not like the peanut butter ( I will have to work on that one) but didn't react to it either. They suggested that we slowly introduce her to foods that have eggs (waffles, pancakes, etc.) and hopefully she will be just fine.
Allie and I celebrated with a slush at Sonic. When I go to the store tomorrow I will buy some items with eggs and hopefully she will do just fine. Hopefully I won't go over board on the buying. I am so excited about all of the things she has never had b/c of her allergy. Now she gets to have the Cinderella cake that she wants for her birthday!
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Eggs and Peanuts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Wow - God is so good! I am so excited for you guys!
That's awesome! Yay for Allie!
Wonderful news!!! G isn't much of a peanut butter eater, but she loves almond butter. Maybe Allie will like the almond (or any kind of nut really) butter.
That is such great news. What a blessing!
YEAH! I am so happy for Allie! (and you too!) Great to see you yesterday...had fun catching up:)
wonderful news!!!! i'm so happy for you guys!!
I am keeping my fingers crossed that she does not have any allergies. Good luck and I am thinking about you guys.
That is so wonderful! I know that it must be such a relief to not have to worry as much about that!
Yay! I am so excited for you! I know this takes so much stress away from situations for you :0) I am allergic to peanuts, and have been my whole life! So I can definitely understand for sure your excitement that allie won't be missing out on things!
Hooray Allie!!!!! Now that is great news:) What a sense of relief I'm sure. We've missed seeing you as often..we need to do something fun with these girls:)...and celebrate no allergies, and Abigail's big girl bed transition:)
Post a Comment