Sunday, December 14, 2008

26.2

Today was the big day! After almost 6 months of training Jarod ran in his first marathon.
I originally planned to see Jarod start the race because I've never seen him start one. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see him start. It took us so long to get down to the AA Center, that he had to get out of the car and walk there. By the time I got parked, I couldn't find him. My parents and Allie came to pick me up so we could drive to our first spot to see him. My brother Scott and his family were set up to see him go by at the 7 mile marker. Some how, they did not see him (we think they were set up where the 1/2 marathon and the full marathon split). I had signed up to get text messages throughout the race of where he was so I didn't think it was a big deal that they didn't see him b/c I would get a message soon and then we would know where he was.

While we were waiting at mile 13 (1/2 way point) and I was starting to get very nervous. I had not received one text message so we had no idea where he was. Finally, we saw him and Allie was so excited. He came over and gave us both a kiss. After he saw us he saw Scott and his family (after missing him they drove where we were but saw him at the 14th mile). Then we headed back to the car and drove to mile 16. My brother Chad and his wife Jami were waiting there. That spot was perfect and again he was able to come say hi.
Then we drove back to the AAC so we could get a spot by the finish line. Scott and our friends EA and Ashley were set up at mile 22. By the time they saw him he had fallen behind in the pack that he was running in. I was starting to worry because his goal time was 3hrs. 30min. I just knew something had happened to him.

Finally, just after 4 hrs. we saw him come by us to finish the race. Words can't describe the emotions I was feeling at the time. I was just so proud of him and I wanted to run out there with him. He came over and told us hi and then finished the race. All 26.2 miles of it!

After I found him and gave him lots of hugs I found out a few things: one, he forgot to wear his timing chip which is why I never received text messages and two, at around mile 18 he started having leg and groin cramps. This explains why he fell a little behind the pack he was running with when I saw him. So for the last 8 miles he had to run off and on with cramps. He had never experienced running cramps until today. My heart broke for him b/c you could tell he was so frustrated with himself. I had to keep reminding him that he couldn't control what happened and all that mattered to any of us was that he just accomplished such a huge goal. After the race we all headed to Papasito's for some much deserved Mexican food!

Jarod,
Allie and I are so proud of you. You are such a good example to us both. Thank you for being such a loving husband and father. I'm truly amazed at the goal you set for yourself. I know that you didn't do as well as you wanted but you need to be proud of yourself. You will always be #1 in our book! We love you!

Waiting for daddy

Of course Allie wouldn't look in the picture or hold her sign.


Mile 13



Waving goodbye to his girls

Cheering section for mile 16

Mile 16


Almost there!


He can see the finish line!


To our family and friends:
Thank you for all of the support and love you have showed Jarod. It means so much to both of us. You were great cheerleaders for him today!









12 comments:

becky said...

Great job Jarod!! I know you and the little one are so proud.

Morgan Holt said...

YAY Jarod! That's so great! It's a huge accomplishment to finish a marathon. I know Paige and Allie were great cheerleaders! :)

Kim said...

Wow that is awesome! There was a class full of people praying for Jarod this morning.

mitzi said...

Congrats, Jarod! We were thinking of you all day yesterday...Jeff was worried and wondering why he couldn't find you online on the list of finishers??!! Now we know...we are proud of you! Paige, he is lucky to have you and Allie to support him, it sounds like you made it really special!!

Miranda said...

Way to go Jarod! That is such an accomplishment!

Lindy said...

hooooray for jarod!!! I know you are so proud of him :0)

Courtney said...

way to go, jarod! we were thinking of you and praying for you on sunday. what an awesome accomplishment!

love-
courtney and stephen

The Trost's said...

What a great accomplishment Jarod!

Chad said...

Jarod, that's awesome. I've always admired people that accomplish the marathon... I don't think its one I'll ever tackle!

Hattie said...

Way to go, Jarod! That is incredible. Be VERY proud of yourself.

Anonymous said...

While I didn't finish when I wanted to, the day was still awesome because of Paige and her hard work. She met me three times along the course and provided a huge amount of encouragement. I am blessed.

Jarod

AshlieB said...

Woohoo that's awesome!

I just found your blog and realized we read alot of the same blogs! I found the Easons blog thru the Steece blog then I stumbled on yours only to realize your blog roll has many of the same as mine!

You little girl sooo adorable...congrats. Saw your Turkey trott pics...we also ran in the Dallas Turkey trott!

Hope you guys are doing great! Happy New Year!

Ashlie Black (Burroughs)