Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Sugar Cookies

Yesterday, Allie and I decorated sugar cookies for the first time. Since she has an allergy to eggs she has never had a sugar cookie before. My friend Anna inspired me to start experimenting with different recipes. My mom had bought me egg replacer from Whole Foods a while ago. I used it once to make brownies (and didn't follow the directions very well) and they came out okay. So, I decided to try again because I really want to be able to make things that Allie can eat. She is finally at an age that she notices people eating things that she can't have. I always try to take something she can have (rice krispies and oreos), but let's face it I needed to branch out!

I really don't like the egg replacer that I used and my mom has a different one for me to try. The dough was a little on the dry side. I'm not sure if that is because of the recipe itself or b/c of the egg replacer I used. After it was made I had to add a little milk to get the dough to stick together more. Then it was too sticky so I had to add in some flour. It was all a guessing game and I think they turned out pretty well. Next time I'm going to try a different "er" and a different recipe.

Allie loved decorating the cookies and got a little carried away with the sprinkles on the first one. For some reason she kept calling the sprinkles, "spray". Have no idea why! She loved eating the sprinkles and I had to keep reminding her to put them on the cookie. I'm so glad I've found something for her to enjoy and hopefully we will make more for Christmas! My friend Anna gave me a recipe for chocolate chip cookies and I plan to try those next. Her poor little guy is allergic to eggs, milk and peanuts!


*Yes, I know that my daughter is wearing a Halloween shirt
Allie putting the icing on her first cookie

Allie pouring on the sprinkles. I was too busy taking a picture to realize how much she had put on her cookie.













6 comments:

The Trost's said...

So much fun! G loves rolling out, cutting out and decorating cookies also. These are memories that will last a lifetime.

Hattie said...

I'm glad Allie is getting to experience sugar cookies. They are some of my favorite desserts!

Miranda said...

Allie's cookies look great!

Lindy said...

Allie is so beautiful!!! She is really growing up :0) Looks like you guys had so much fun making cookies!

becky said...

I know that you had a great time making cookies with her. It is so fun to experience life with the babies.

powellsa74 said...

I love decorating cookies...yummy!