Most of you know that my sweet Allie girl is allergic to eggs and peanuts. We discovered this last year right before her birthday. Needless to say it has been quite the challenge and we are hopeful that she will out grow it. My little sweetie has only had cake one time and that was for her b-day and Benedryl helped washed it down. I've never really looked into finding other ways to make a cake without eggs b/c we try not to keep sweets in the house. Well, with her b-day coming up, I decided that I needed to find something that she will be able to eat.
A couple of co-workers of mine told me a weight watchers recipe for cakes without eggs. All you do is take any cake mix and any diet drink, mix them together and follow directions on the box for cooking time.
Last night I tried out my little experiment. I used a strawberry cake mix and put one can of Sprite Zero (I cooked mine at 350 for 20 min). It came out looking like a normal cake and it tasted so good! For the topping I used fat free cool whip since I'm trying to follow weight watchers. Maybe some of you already knew about this, but I thought it was too good not to share. What a healthier way to make a cake and tastes just as yummy. Allie has yet to tried any b/c last night she was already in bed and tonight she wouldn't eat her dinner so I didn't feel right giving her cake. Hopefully she will get to indulge tomorrow!
Now I can't wait to make her pig cupcakes (farm animal theme) for her birthday.
Tuesday, April 1, 2008
Strawberry Cake and a Diet Coke
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
What a great idea. I know that Allie will be really happy when she gets to eat cake again!
Yep....we've tried that at our house. I've used Sprite and Diet Coke in different cakes before and they always taste just as good. It's interesting that it actually works and it's not disgusting. So glad you found something that will work for her birthday!
Hey Paige! I found your blog through the blands. Your little girl is so adorable, i was just reading the blog before this one and she sounds like such a sweetie! When is her Birthday? Jason and I have a little boy that will be 2 in July, they grow up way to fast! I have tried the diet coke and choc. cake mix, it is really good! i'm so glad you found that, stinks not being able to have cake! I just wanted to say hello and tell you what a cutie you have!
~Amy Conner
What a great idea!! So cool--never would have thought of that. I know you'll enjoy watching her chow down on some cake. Allie looked so cute in her Easter pics--her little dress is so cute.
I'm so glad! A life without cake would be horrible!
I'm going to have to try that for sure.
Hi Paige, found your blog through Kim's. I've ran out of eggs before and used 2 tbl corn starch for every egg called for. Great blog and sweet pics of your angel!
Post a Comment