Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas Cheer

 I have really enjoyed getting ready for Christmas this year and all of the fun things we have done together.  Since I'm having foot surgery on the 22nd, I wanted to make sure that I got to do fun things with the kids during the day, after school or on the weekends since I won't be able to do much during the holiday break.  We started what some people call 25 days of Christmas or Advent this year and we will make sure to do it for the years to come.  Next year, Jack will actually understand what is going on and will be able to participate more.  
This is the first year that we had our lights on our house, tree decorated and house decorated before it was December ( I also had all presents bought too)! Allie loves to decorate the tree and I let her put on most of our ornaments.  Our tree isn't fancy and it's not coordinated by color. The ornaments on our tree are from when I was growing up. Each year, my parents gave us a new ornament (not sure when this was started) and I have done the same with Jarod and with the kids.  I also have ornaments that were either given to me or bought at different and fun places.  I love seeing all of the ornaments. They bring back so many wonderful memories.  Allie already remembers who gave her the ornaments she has.  Jack was also excited about putting ornaments on the tree and wanted to be very helpful. Most of the time he couldn't get them on there and big sister was quick to help him! Of course most of the ornaments were in big clumps on the front of the tree and I just moved them the next day.  
I bought a wooden train this year from Hobby Lobby and it has 3 box cars with little doors that open and the numbers 1-25 on it. Each morning, Allie opens a door and pulls out the note and reads what the fun activity is for that day. Not all of our activities have to do with Christmas, but most of them do.  
Here are some of the activities we have done:
lunch at school, rent a movie, play date at McDonalds, parade (it was cancelled due to rain), dinner with Mimi and Poppy, hot chocolate and X-mas books, make an ornament, make cookies for daddy's work, help wrap X-mas presents, watch a X-mas play, breakfast with Santa, ride Polar Express, ice cream treat, make gingerbread house, play a board game. We still have 10 more days to go!


 Here are some pictures from Breakfast with Santa...my friend Jenn took the good ones!









0 comments: