Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My Bags Are Packed...

Well, my bags are almost packed and I am ready to go! It's hard to believe I'm only 2 weeks away from my due date. Where has the time gone? I feel like parts of this pregnancy have gone by slowly and other parts have just flown by. This pregnancy has been harder than mine with Allie. I think what has made it harder is that Jack is sitting on my sciatic nerve. That makes night time very hard at my house. I feel terrible when I wake Jarod up. The last couple of nights have been pretty bad and this morning I could barely walk around the house. Thank goodness for Spring Break and a sweet, caring little girl.


I'm feeling a lot of different emotions these days. Crazy hormones! I'm not worried so much about delivery and bringing home a newborn, I am more worried and concerned about Allie. Some of you who have two children or more, may understand how I am feeling. I just don't want her to feel left out or forgotten. I want her to be a big part of all of this and I don't want her to feel like I've abandoned her. We have talked to her a lot about it and I think it helps that she is almost 4 b/c she seems to understand a lot of what we are saying. But, I know that this will still be hard for her. This will all be an adjustment for all of us and that is what has me the most worried. I just want to make sure I make the right decisions for her.

Allie is so excited that Jack will be here very soon. She talks to him and about him all of the time. She is absolutely and completely in love with him already. She can't wait to help, sing and teach him things. She loved looking at sleepers, onesies and gowns today. She always wants to get him something every time we go to the store. We did let her pick out a gift to give him when he gets here and I also got a gift "from" Jack to give to her at the hospital. A lot of people had suggested that we do that and I think she will love getting a gift from her brother.

Even though I am very uncomfortable and ready for Jack to be here, I am sad that our days of a family of 3 are coming to an end. It has been 3 for almost 4 years and it's hard to imagine it any other way, but I am looking forward to the new adventures of a family of four and the love and joy that Jack will bring to our lives.

If any of you have any words of wisdom or advice during this time of transition, I am all ears!

8 comments:

Morgan Holt said...

WOW! I can't believe you little Jack is almost here. It seems like yesterday when you announced you were pregnant with him. I had awful sciatic nerve problems with Clara too. I couldn't even get up nor sit down it hurt so badly! I totally understand your pain girl!

As for making the transition easier....I think you've covered everything. The present from Clara to Emmersen when Clara was born was wonderful. Emmersen lit up when she saw that Clara had gotten her something. To this day, she still remembers what Clara got her when she was born. Since she is 4, you might want to make a big deal about letting her hold him first before anyone else gets to hold him since she's the big sister. Everything will be fine! Kids adjust so well to changes. Even though you are worried, I have a feeling she'll embrace her little brother and she'll be the big helper in your house. Good luck with everything and take care!

Courtney said...

i think you and jarod have thought of it all, and will include her in every detail of caring for jack....so, she won't feel 'left out' of this new adventure. she is at a great age where she can really feel and be a help to ya'll when caring for baby jack. she is such a precious girl and i can't wait to meet her precious brother :)

Lindsey Eason said...

I agree with Morgan and Courtney - my guess is that Ali won't feel left out at all but rather, will be so incredibly excited to be the "big sis" now - this is a huge milestone for her! She'll get to beam with pride as she shows off her baby sister everywhere she goes...and become mommy's right hand gal as she helps retrieve diapers and entertain the baby! And for our family, four years in between has been the PERFECT spacing...(of course, we're comparing that to our first two being only 18 months apart!!). Thinking of you as you make this exciting transition!!!! Cant' wait to hear the news that #2 has arrived!

Hattie said...

I certainly don't have any words of wisdom! I just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Meredith Braaten, CD(DONA) said...

I think what you are feeling is a perfectly normal journey from one kiddo to two. I felt the same way and on some days I still feel it. They will always be our first and in a weird way, life will seem to always revolve around them.

So if its possible, try to let go and enjoy. Your daughter is incredibly smart and mature. She will understand when given explanations and she will enjoy him so so much.

Lindy said...

Paige, big family changes are so awesome and exciting, yet so bittersweet at the same time! I remember feeling exactly the same way when I went to the hospital to have Logan! I didn't realize when your a mom of more than one (or two for that matter) your heart just gets bigger!!! Seems like you have thought of everything, and because of your wonderful positive attitude, and your conscious decision to make this a smooth transition for her, Allie will adjust and do incredibly well. Best of luck with everything and I hope your sciatica pain goes away~ Thinking of you often these last few weeks!!!

The Trost's said...

Yea! Come on baby Jack!!! After seeing Allie today, I have no doubt that she will transition very well to being a big sister and sharing mom and dad's time. Everything you are feeling is completely normal. I worry and have those anxious feelings and the "baby" is now two. I will be thinking of all of you and please don't hesitate to call.

becky said...

Oh I am excited and I have no words of wisdom but you seem prepared!!!!