Thanksgiving Day started out very early for the Varner family. For those of you who do not know, Jarod has recently (May) taken up running and is training to run a marathon by next winter. To read more about Jarod's running he has his own blog and it's linked on my page.
Jarod decided to run in Dallas' YMCA 8 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. My mom and Allie and I decided to brave the really cold weather to cheer him on. My mom and I got there about 45 min. before Jarod finished running. I was so surprised by how many people were out there. They said that 30,000 people registered. We waited on the sidelines looking for Jarod and I had the camera ready, but I never saw him. I saw two of his friends run by, but not him. I knew that would happen! We had plans to meet at the finish line, but with the massive crowds, it took us a while to find him. Next year we will have a better plan. If my knees are better (they better be by next Nov.) I plan to walk the 3 mile. I think we've started a new "Varner" tradition.
After the run we headed back to my parents house in Arlington to finish up fixing our food for Thanksgiving at my aunt's. Every Thanksgiving we head to my aunt and uncle's in Arlington. This year was a little different. My brother's and their families were with their in-laws and my dad was sleeping b/c he had worked the night shift at the hospital and he had to work Thanksgiving night too. So, it wasn't a huge crowd, but we had enough food to feed an army. It was great to be with my family, especially my Granny. We had good food, lots of laughs and watched the Cowboys win! We even had big snow flakes!
Jarod and Allie and I spent the rest of our weekend with my parents. Our plans were to go home on Saturday, but I'm such a home body that I had to stay one more night. My mom and I got out pretty early on Friday morning to shop. Crazy! We shop every year on "black Friday", but I had never seen so many crowds before. We were out for 1/2 the day and called it quits. We got out again on Saturday in the yucky rain, and it was a lot more enjoyable.
It's good to be home again (not that we went far away) but neither Jarod or I look forward to going back to work tomorrow. But, only 4 more weeks and I'm off again for Christmas! I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!





2 comments:
My dad and used to run the Turkey Trot every year together! My dad still goes, but I have been a pansy the last couple years and stayed home to help my mom cook (and b/c I'm out of shape!). Maybe I will go next year?!? Glad you had a good Thanksgiving.
I can tell he's lost weight since I saw him last - I guess running regular half-marathons will do that to ya'! Hmmm...maybe I need to start running! :) Congrats to Jarod - I'm very impressed with his running and his blog!
Post a Comment