I wanted to do a post about my Granny. Since the first of the year, things have changed a lot with my Granny. For almost 13 years, my Granny lived by herself in Oak Cliff (the house my mom lived in when she was 11 yrs. old). She has never really had any serious health issues and had never been in the hospital for anything serious. I'm not saying she doesn't or hasn't had anything wrong, but nothing really major. Starting in January, she started "living" with my aunt in Arlington. I don't exactly remember why, but she needed help monitoring something and couldn't do it on her own. Then in February, she was rushed to the hospital. After a lot of tests, she needed to have her gallbladder taken out. Since that surgery, she has lived in a rehabilitation center/nursing home. My Granny has changed a lot since then and so have our lives. She has always suffered from Alzheimer's but not horribly. Since the surgery, it has gotten a lot worse and so has her health. It's amazing how quickly an elderly person can go down hill after having a simple surgery that most of us would bounce right back from.
Her strength and her memory are not what they used to be. It is so hard to see my Granny like this. I've been able to visit her any time we are in Arlington. Last week, my mom, Jack, Allie and I went to see her. Allie and Jack have been twice and the previous week that I was there Granny asked me to bring them. She loved seeing their sweet faces and I think it brightened her day. She even remembered later in the day that we had been there. She doesn't always know who people are at first or even remember people have been there to see her. When Jarod and I went 2 weeks ago, it took her a while to remember who he was. Sometimes she thinks her parents or my Pop is still alive. This disease is just so heartbreaking. I'm really glad that we are able to go and visit her. She has lots of grand kids and great grand kids that are very good about going to see her. I was able to get a few pictures at our visit this time.
This was the 3rd time for Granny to meet Jack. Jack is her youngest great grandchild.
Saturday, July 31, 2010
My Granny
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
i'm so sorry. i can definitely relate. it was so hard watching my nanny go through this, and hard watching how tough it was on my mom.
Oh Paige I understand how hard this is on you and your family. It is wonderful that she has so many people in her life that care about her so much. I am thinking of you.
Post a Comment